fredag 5 april 2013

Sanctum - Sarah Fine

Titel: Sanctum
Författare: Sarah Fine
Serie: Guards of the Shadowlands #1
Sidor: 417

“My plan: Get into the city. Get Nadia. Find a way out. Simple.”

A week ago, seventeen-year-old Lela Santos’s best friend, Nadia, killed herself. Today, thanks to a farewell ritual gone awry, Lela is standing in paradise, looking upon a vast gated city in the distance—hell. No one willingly walks through the Suicide Gates, into a place smothered in darkness and infested with depraved creatures. But Lela isn’t just anyone—she’s determined to save her best friend’s soul, even if it means sacrificing her eternal afterlife.

As Lela struggles to find Nadia, she’s captured by the Guards, enormous, not-quite-human creatures that patrol the dark city’s endless streets. Their all-too-human leader, Malachi, is unlike them in every way except one: his deadly efficiency. When he meets Lela, Malachi forms his own plan: get her out of the city, even if it means she must leave Nadia behind. Malachi knows something Lela doesn’t—the dark city isn’t the worst place Lela could end up, and he will stop at nothing to keep her from that fate.


Jag hade knappt några förväntningar när jag började läsa Sanctum och jag visste inte riktigt vad den handlade om, men som tur är hittade jag en bok jag tyckte väldigt mycket om. Jag älskade första halvan riktigt mycket, men sedan blev det lite insta-love och för mycket kärlek och jag tappade intresset litegrann (lite i samma stil som i Daughter of Smoke and Bone).

Det bästa med boken var världen, jag älskade uppbyggnaden och hur detaljrikt allting var. Jag fascinerades av självmordskaraktärernas tillstånd och hur hopplös och skrämmande världen kändes.
Jag gillade handlingen mycket, lite nytänkande och mycket spännande (om man bortser från allt kärlekstrams). 

Jag älskade Lela. Hon var sarkastisk och kvicktänkt och fick mig att skratta flera gånger. Hon var så modig och självuppoffrande, och jag beundrade hur långt hon var villig att gå för att rädda sin bästa kompis.
Jag tyckte att Malachi var helt okej, varken mer eller mindre. Jag saknade lite personlighet hos honom ända fram till slutet då jag tyckte att han blev bättre. Malachi är en äkta warrior och ibland påminde han mig om Vampire Academys Dimitri (vilket iofs aldrig är fel).

Jag hade önskat mig mer handling och mindre kärlek, men Sanctum var ändå en riktigt bra bok. Jag älskade, älskade världen och just slutet av boken tyckte jag extra mycket om. Jag ser verkligen fram emot fortsättningen.

Favoritcitat:

"A faint rattling pulled me from sleep, which was a relief because I’d been caught in yet another nightmare. After what Rick, my now-former foster father, had done to me, one would think he’d be the one haunting my dreams. And he had something to do with it—he’d revived me the night I tried to kill myself. In the moments before he had, I was certain I’d been standing at the gates of hell, about to be sucked in. Unfortunately, when Rick revived me, I’d brought a piece of hell back with me. That was what I dreamed about. Every night. A dark, walled city. Wandering, lost, trapped. A voice whispering to me, You’re perfect. Come back.
Stay."


"...Were you in the military?"
"Are you kidding me? I was in high school."
"High school," he said quietly. "You’re American. And a civilian?"
"Uh, yes. An American civilian."
"Lovely. A straight answer. Keep it up. Did somebody train you?"
"No, nobody trained me. Unless you count the Rhode Island child welfare and juvenile justice systems. Why?"
Malachi held up his hand and ticked off the reasons with his fingers. "You stole a Guard's weapon. If I'm not mistaken, it belonged to a Gate Guard. Which means you managed to do it on your way into the city. You escaped Amid even after he had you in hand. You slashed his leg in just the right place, preventing him from chasing you. Under extreme duress, injured and cornered, you threw a knife and hit a target-"
"It's not like I hit something vital."


7 / 10 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar